Last week I had the chance to take my 5 year old daughter to see Disney’s latest animated movie, Zootopia. This is a classic buddy movie, no princesses, no love affairs, no waiting for prince charming to sweep you off your feet and whisk you away for your happily ever after. Just 2 animals from completely different backgrounds, joining forces to find out what is threatening to disrupt the peace and harmony of Zootopia.
To say that she loved it is an understatement. In fact we both loved it. We were quickly enchanted by the characters, the setting and the story.
Let me introduce you to some of our favorite characters:
- Nick Wilde- This fast talking fox is smug, suave and oozing with charm. His unlikely friendship with Judy is surprising, funny and at times incredibly heartwarming.
- Judy Hopps- Judy is a small town bunny that becomes the first rabbit on the Zootopia police force. Her refusal to give up on her dream is what makes us love her and makes her a great role model for boys and girls everywhere.
- Yak – Yak is a naturalist through and through. Visiting him in his, ahem, natural state is an experience our sweet heroin won’t soon forget.
- Officer Clawhauser – If Olaf and Tigger had a baby, it would be Officer Clawhauser. If his adorable innocence, cheerful attitude and fan boy antics don’t make you fall in love with him, then I’m pretty sure you have no heart.
- Flash – I dare you not to fall in love with this slow moving mammal with a sense of humor that loves to share a good joke.
I love movies that have messages and this one is no exception. Amidst all the jokes, the crazy characters and intriguing story is the message. Determination. Never give up on your dreams. Never give up on your friends. Never give up on doing what is right.
Since I refuse to give away spoilers, I’m just going to stop right here and tell you to go see this movie with your family. Like right now. Or at the very least, this weekend. Seriously, I’ll even make it easy for you click here to buy your tickets!
After you go see it, come back home and make these adorable necklaces inspired by this fabulous movie!
Animal print scrapbook paper
Black nylon cord
Exato knife or scissors
Lay the washer on your scrapbook paper and cut with your exacto knife or trace (then cut) all the way around the outside and inside of the washer.
Paint a layer of modge podge on the washer and lay the scrapbook paper on top
Paint another layer of modge podge over the top of the paper and let dry for 60 minutes
While the modge podge is drying cut a length of nylon cord (whatever length you prefer)
Tie the ends together in a knot
Once the washer is dry, stick the loop of the nylon cord through the washer
Thread the loop through the charm and then pull the knotted end of the nylon through the loop to secure the washer.
That’s it! Easy peasy!
You can make a ton of these for next to nothing! They make great gifts, or party favors if you are having a Zootopia themed party.
Have you seen Zootopia yet? I would love to hear what you thought about it. Please share in the comment section below 🙂
For more Zootopia fun check out these fun coloring pages and activity sheets!