Several years ago, my family and I broke up with the Orlando hotel scene. With 8 of us, we were practically busting out of every hotel room we booked. Even the “family suites”. We relegated ourselves to spending a small fortune to book 2 rooms, but couldn’t always get connecting rooms which sometimes meant spending our family vacation on opposite sides of a large hotel. Not cool.
One year, after spending our entire vacation on separate floors in a resort, we decided the next time we visited Orlando we were going to rent a vacation home and it was the best decision we ever made!
Why were we so happy? Let me break it down for you:
- We Saved a Bunch of Money! – By the time we got our hotel divorce, we were easily spending $300 a night on 2 cramped rooms that may or may not be near each other. For less than half of that, we were able to get a 3 bedroom vacation home with a full kitchen, living room and a private pool. We bought groceries instead of eating out every night and saved even more moolah! Pretty amazing, right?!
- We Had Way More Room!- Even a large hotel room gets too cozy for comfort pretty fast. People fighting over the one bathroom or arguing about who gets control of the remote or whining about having to share a bed. Your nerves can unravel in record time in that kind of environment. Renting a vacation home affords you the ability to spread out. There are at least 2 bathrooms, a living room, backyard (most with a pool!)and sometimes even a game room. Being able to spread out meant that everybody had a much better time and my last nerve was ridden a lot less.
- We Were Able to do Laundry! – I know nobody wants to do laundry on vacation, but sometimes with kids it becomes a necessity. We have a couple kids that are plagued with car sickness and that can get messy sometimes… if you stay in hotel and something gets spilled on, thrown up on or just plain stinks, there is usually nothing that you can do about it until you get home. Having a washer and dryer available to me on vacation is a luxury I can’t live without.
- We Had Tons of Privacy! – Have you ever had a room next to really loud neighbors? Maybe it’s the high school sports team taking over your floor, or the sick baby that screams every night for an hour, or the energetic honeymooners doing, well, what energetic honeymooners do. Hotel walls can be paper thin and noisy neighbors can spoil your fun and your sleep. We have never had to deal with that when renting a vacation home.
- We Were Able to Stay Longer! – All of the above add up the us being able to spend more time on vacation. We save money, aren’t grating on each others nerves, have plenty of clean laundry, and no loud kids (other than our own) to interrupt our sleep. Yay for longer vacations!!!
Now you know why we stay, but let’s talk about where we stay. Hands down my favorite company to go through for vacation homes is Global Resort Homes. When it comes to vacation homes in the Orlando area, Global Resort Homes is king. With 13 resort properties to choose from, you can easily find something to fit your budget and your needs. My 2 favorite properties in their large collection are Paradise Palms & Champions Gate
Paradise Palms is a great vacation home resort for families and is literally minutes from Disney World (it took us less than 10 minutes door to door). The homes in this resort are beautifully decorated with all the comforts of home. The amenities include an on property movie theater, game room and resort pool.
Champions Gate is a gorgeous upscale resort with homes up to 9 bedrooms (perfect for a family or corporate retreat!). The world class amenities include a huge resort-style pool with water slides, lazy river & splash park, onsite movie theater, championship golf course and resort style dining.
If you are considering a hotel divorce, I strongly encourage you to check out your options, especially Global Resort Homes. In this case the grass really is greener on the other side.