Do you know what my favorite meal is? Breakfast! Do you know what my favorite season is? Fall! Do you know what magical thing happens when I put those 2 wonderful things together??? Pumpkin Spice Waffles!!!!
This year when fall came around, I couldn’t wait to get in the kitchen and whip all my favorite fall goodies like:
and of course, these Pumpkin Spice Waffles. These waffles are the perfect blend of pumpkin and spice and are crispy on the outside while being soft on the inside. THEY ARE SO AMAZING!
Wanna know my secret for crispy waffles?? Mayonnaise! I know! I could hardly believe it, the first time I added mayo to my waffle batter. It was actually just a happy accident, I was out of eggs and really, really wanted homemade waffles. I looked up substitutions on google and found out that you can substitute applesauce or mayonnaise for an egg. Well I was out of applesauce too, so mayo became the hero of that morning. Y’all mayo makes these waffles uber fabulous! Replacing the egg in my favorite waffle recipe with Mayo to get the crispiest, fluffiest, most delicious waffles ever!
I never use eggs in my waffle recipes now, I only use mayonnaise. Of course it can’t be just any mayonnaise. It has to be blue plate mayonnaise.
Blue Plate Mayonnaise is made like homemade with a simple time-honored recipe of oil, vinegar and only the egg yolks, making it extra rich and creamy and the perfect ingredient to make crispy waffles. It was Voted #1 Mayonnaise by Epicurious and it has been the same recipe since 1927, which makes me happy because I’m not a huge fan of change. I know I can count on Blue Plate Mayo to be exactly the same every time I use it! Find the product near you
Y’all have been so patient while I gush about Blue Plate Mayonnaise and all things pumpkin spice, so here is the Pumpkin Spice Waffles recipe that you have been waiting for. Yay!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs pumpkin pie spice or 1 tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3 Tbs butter melted
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup milk plus extra if needed
- Heat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the pumpkin, Blue Plate Mayonaise, butter, brown sugar and milk until well combined.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet mixture. Mix together until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Your mixture will be thick but pourable. If too thick add a bit more milk.
- Pour batter into waffle iron, and cook according to waffle iron directions
- Remove from waffle iron, serve with butter and maple syrup or whipped cream and cinnamon.
Don’t they look and sound delicious?!?! I can’t wait to make these again this weekend. Do you have a favorite fall recipe? Or a recipe with a surprise game changing ingredient? Share it below so I can make it too!