Whether you are brand new to Paleo eating or have been doing this for years, here are my top foods that you must have in your cupboards/fridge.
1. Coconut Flour – We use this to make gluten free pancakes, pizza crust, banana bread and lots of other yummy treats. Coconut flour is high in protein and fiber. It is also a good source of lauric acid and manganese.
2. Coconut oil – We use coconut oil for everything! It is a very versatile and healthy oil to cook with. It can handle fairly high temperatures when frying things and can also substitute shortening in most recipes. Coconut oil positively affects our hormones for thyroid and blood-sugar control as well as help lower cholesterol.
3. Eggs- no paleo kitchen is complete without eggs. Eggs are such a versatile food, they can be used for baking or eaten on their own, Our family easily goes through a dozen eggs a day, more if I’m baking yummy treats 🙂 Eggs are high in protein, they are also high in choline which is good boosting your brain health.
4. Variety of vegetables – You always need to have some of your favorite vegetables on hand. contrary to popular belief, people on the paleo diet do not eat bacon all day. Actually we eat more vegetables than meat during the day. Most paleo advocates have a fridge/freezer full of their favorite veggies for meals and quick snacking.
5. Dark chocolate – this may not be on everybodys must have list, but it is on ours. We love our evening chocolate indulgence. There is nothing like unwinding at the end of the day with a yummy chocolate treat. Dark chocolate is actually very healthy for you. Dark chocolate promotes heart and brain health, helps regulate blood sugar, and is full of antioxidants. Make sure you are choosing chocolate that is at least 70% cacao and try to find some sweetened with honey instead of sugar.
6. Honey – Honey is a perfect substitute for sugar. it is sweet, won;t spike your blood sugar and has numerous health benefits such as immune system support, blood sugar control and it is full of flavanoids (antioxidants that reduce the risk of heart disease and some cancers)
7. Grass fed beef- to get the most benefit from your paleo diet you need to consume the highest quality meat you can find. Local grass fed beef is far superior to any meat you can find in the grocery store. Grass fed beef is lower in fat and much higher in beneficial omega 3.
8. Nuts – while nuts are a food to be consumed in moderation because of their very high fat content, they are a staple in my house because they make a great on the go snack or a great recovery food after a hard workout. They benefits of raw nuts are tremendous. They are packed with protein and omega 3 fat. They also have many antioxidants to help with heart health.
9. Variety of fruits- fruits are one of those in moderation things for me but much needed for my growing kids. Limiting my kids carbs would have very poor health affects on them so I don;t limit their carb intake, but I do limit their carb sources. We always have a large variety of fruits in our fridge that my kids have with every meal. We also have a variety of dried fruit to take with us on our adventures. (A trail mix with nuts, dried fruit and some chocolate is a fantastic on the go snack)
10. Beef jerky- We are a very on the go family and while we definitely deviate from the paleo diet occasionally, I like to stick to it as often as possible so having quick snacks that are portable and satisfying. Beef jerky is a perfect on the go snack for us. We make our own, but there are many healthy brands that you can buy. Look for brands without nitrites, nitrates and msg.