A blueberry milkshake is the perfect summer indulgence!
Blueberry Milkshake Recipe
I can’t tell you how much I love milkshakes. They are one of my favorite treats! Last week I shared this amazing chocolate peanut butter milkshake, truly a guilty pleasure if ever there was one. This week I’m indulging my milkshakes craving with something that is just a bit healthier. A blueberry milkshake! Made with real blueberries, all natural ice cream, milk and a touch of honey. You really can indulge and be healthy too!
In case you missed the hundreds of articles buzzing all over the internet about the benefits of blueberries. I’ll give you a quick breakdown as to why I love them, why they are so good for you and why you need to put them in your milkshakes!
1. Packed Full of Antioxidants- Blueberries are incredibly rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants protect our bodies from damage by free radicals which are unstable molecules that can damage cellular structures and contribute to aging and diseases like cancer. Blueberries are considered to the the king of all foods when it comes to antioxidants.
2. High in Vitamin C- Vitamin C is necessary for growth and development of tissues and promotes wound healing and has immune boosting properties. Consuming just one cup of blueberries will give you 25% of your recommended daily value of Vitamin C.
3. Brain Boosting Powers- Because they contain such a high amount of gallic acid, blueberries can act as “neuro-protective agents.” which means that they can literally protect our brains from degeneration, neurotoxicity and oxidative stress.
See how good for you blueberries are? You are doing yourself a disservice if you don’t add this super fruit to your diet.
I will confess that adding blueberries to some ice cream to make a blueberry milkshake isn’t the healthiest way to eat them, but if you want to indulge in an occasional treat, at least you can do so in a more healthy way by adding in some blueberries.
- 2 cups all natural vanilla ice cream (I prefer Breyer's extra creamy vanilla)
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- Put all the ingredients in a blender or milkshake mixer and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 94mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 6g
I hope you enjoy your delicious blueberry milkshake!