It looks like the south finally gave up the fight and joined the rest of the country in below freezing temperatures. This weekend we officially pulled out jackets and hats and put away pretty summer dresses, shorts and bathing suits…. sniff, sniff.
All is not lost however…. though I will mourn the loss of summer, I will also celebrate the official start of soup season in my house. Yippee! Soups are undeniably a favorite treat of mine, I only wish my kids shared my love of hearty soups, stews and chowders. This year I’m not going to let their picky palates ruin my fall fun, I’m going to defy the minions and make soup whenever the heck I want. Take that kids.
I kicked off soup season with this delicious veggie quinoa chowder recipe, and let me tell you it was sublime! I’m so happy to share this recipe with you today, so you can join me in indulging your soup cravings 🙂
- 1 lb diced butternut squash
- 1/2 cup carrots sliced
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 box (32 oz) vegetable broth
- 4 cups of water
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine squash, carrots, quinoa, broth, tomatoes, thyme and water in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours
- Stir in corn, heavy cream, parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne
- Cover and cook on low another 15-20 minutes.
Super easy, right? Happy cooking!!
Nicole Koh says
Nicole Koh says
M Moon says
Noel Gagnon says