*Affiliate links ahead…Don’t worry, I’ll use the money for something practical, like wine…. or a pony!
Breakfast Egg Rolls
I’m not much of a breakfast eater. Never have been, probably never will be. I know, I know. I’ve heard all the lectures…. I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I know I’m probably messing up my metabolism, and am likely to drop dead at any second. But, I’ve never been much of a rule follower, and honestly, this is all the rebellion a 37-year-old mother of 6 can muster at this point in her life, so whatever.
My kids, on the other hand, love breakfast. The first thing they ask for as soon as they open their eyes is breakfast. Usually, I’m still dragging around waiting for my coffee to kick and they end up playing pantry survivor and fending for themselves.
Well, this year I vowed to be a little better in the morning and make a hot breakfast more often for my kids. Not every day….I know my limitations. I’ll never be “that” mom. I’m mediocre at best, and I’m okay with that. But maybe 2-3 times a week I can get my stuff together and provide my kids a hot, balanced breakfast.
In the spirit of inspiring other moms to occasionally up their breakfast game, I’ll be sharing our tried and true breakfast hits over the next few months, starting with these simple, yet delicious, breakfast egg rolls.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup chopped, cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 Egg roll wrappers
- 2 cups preferred frying oil (I used coconut oil)
- Combine butter and onion in a frying pan and cook over medium heat until softened.
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl and add to the onions.
- Continue cooking – pulling, lifting and folding eggs – until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains.
- Add bacon, salt and pepper.
- Moisten each corner of the egg roll wrapper.
- Place the egg roll wrapper so it looks like a diamond then put approx 2 tbsp of the eggs in the wrapper (make a horizontal line with the eggs)
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the eggs.
- Wrap the egg roll by placing the point closest to you over the eggs and tucking it under the eggs, then fold in the 2 sides, then roll the rest of the way up making sure it's tight.
- If the end keeps coming apart, use a little more water to get it to stick together.
- Put your oil in a large pot and heat to 375, you can use a fryer thermometer or a candy thermometer (very important to get the right temperature or you'll end up with soggy egg rolls)
- When the temperature reaches 375, turn the heat down to medium and drop the egg rolls one by one into the oil.
- Cook for approx 60 seconds on each side.
- Remove from oil using tongs or a slotted spatula and place on paper towels to cool.
- Calories 198
- Total Fat: 6 g 9.23%
- Saturated Fat: g 0%
- Cholesterol: mg 0%
- Sodium: mg 0%
- Potassium: mg 0%
- Total Carbohydrate: 24 g %
- Sugar: g
- Protein: 12 g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Calcium: mg 0%
- Iron: mg 0%
These breakfast egg rolls are sure to nab you the title of world’s best mom. Well, for a few hours, at least. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do! Happy breakfast-ing!
Jean | DelightfulRepast.com says
Karyl | Karyl's Kulinary Krusade says