*Caution, affiliate links ahead…Don’t worry, I’ll use the money for something practical, like wine…. or a pony!
So, we are getting kind of bored with food over at my house. It seems like we are trapped in a dinner rut and can’t get out. Day in and day out it is the same old food. I guess I just haven’t had the motivation to be very creative. It doesn’t help that I have picky kids that won’t eat things that look slightly different from the norm. Spending all afternoon in the kitchen creating new recipes, just to have the kids refuse to eat it and ask for spaghetti is a little disheartening.
To break up the monotony and save my self esteem, I have decided to start taking parts of recipes that they already love and turning them into new and delicious creations. One such creation is Spicy Chicken Flatbread.
This spicy garlic chicken recipe has been a family favorite for years, usually I serve it over rice with some steamed veggies. That is until, my husband had the brilliant idea of taking my paleo cracker recipe and turning it into a gluten free flatbread crust. What a great idea! I love a good flatbread and topping it with my family’s favorite chicken recipe would make it a sure fire hit. I was right! The crust was crispy and light, and the almond flour really helped bring out the bold flavors of the sauce and chicken. Best of all, my whole family ate it without a single complaint. Hallelujah!
Hopefully over the next few weeks I’ll get some of my creative kitchen mojo back and can keep re-purposing favorite meals into something new and we can finally break the boring rut. Until then enjoy this latest creation, I know you’ll love it as much as we do 🙂
- 2 chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup of cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Paleo cracker recipe
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, 2 tbsp oil, garlic, cayenne pepper and black pepper in a bowl.
- Add the chicken and coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (overnight is better)
- Remove chicken from the marinade (put the marinade aside to use later) and put the chicken in a skillet or frying pan with remaining tbsp of oil
- Cook over medium high heat until no longer pink
- Put the marinade in a saucepan and heat to a simmer
- Mix cornstarch ad water in a cup and add it slowly to the marinade
- Mix until thick
- Add the chicken and cook on low while you prepare the crust
- Prepare the paleo cracker recipe according to the directions found [here|https://www.almostsupermom.com/2013/12/3-ingredient-gluten-freepaleo-crackers.html}. Only do not cut it before putting it in the oven.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes
- Remove from oven and pour the sauce and chicken over the crust.
- Top with cheese and slivered almonds
- Broil on high for 5 minutes or until the cheese is slightly golden.
Suzy @ The Mediterranean Dish says
Alison @Food by Mars says
Anna @ Sunny Side Ups says