*Caution, affiliate links ahead…Don’t worry, I’ll use the money for something practical, like wine…. or a pony!
Lately I’ve been going nuts for anything with roasted red pepper in it. It started with a friends homemade roasted red pepper hummus and soon I was trying to put roasted red peppers in everything. You may remember these Pepperoni High Rollers with Roasted Red Pepper Mayo, they were a huge hit with my family and apparently with you well as they have been shared over 5,000 times. I decided to get creative again and try to dress up another everyday meal with some roasted red pepper deliciousness.
That is how this uber yummy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Alfredo came to be. I noticed that roasted red peppers go best with creamy bases (hummus, mayo, cream sauce) so it seemed like adding it to my favorite alfredo sauce would be a sure fire hit. I used some gluten free quinoa penne noodles (you can sub regular penne or mostaccioli) and added some itlaian baked chicken pieces then topped with cheese and some roasted pepper pieces. The smell as it baked was enticing, but it was nothing compared to the flavor explosion that occurred when I took my first bite. Delicious doesn’t even begin to describe it.
Apparently I hit a homerun with dinner that night, I loved it, the husband loved it and even the picky 4 year old loved it. Hooray!
Look at how beautiful that sauce is!
Here is the delectable recipe, I hope your family enjoys it as much as we did!
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (you can make these yourself, or buy them pre-roasted)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups FRESH parmesan cheese, grated
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 box penne or mostaccioli pasta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook the chicken breasts by seasoning each one with Italian seasoning, or better yet, marinading them in Italian dressing for at least 30 minutes, then wrapping each one in foil, sealing the edges tight and baking in a casserole dish at 350 for 25 minutes or so or until they are no longer pink inside.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare your sauce
- Melt the butter for the sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Slowly whisk in the heavy cream.
- Add in the garlic and a pinch or three of salt & pepper and keep whisking.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Whisk often.
- Remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese.
- While your sauce is simmering, start boiling your noodles according to the directions on the box
- Once chicken is done, cut it into small pieces
- Once the sauce has reached it's desired consistency, pour into a blender or food processor.
- Add the roasted red peppers and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour sauce, noodles and chicken into a casserole dish or cast iron skillet
- Top with mozzarella cheese
- Broil on high for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Melissa French, The More With Less Mom says